Title: Vice President, Engineering
Astronautics Corporation of America, established in 1959, is a leader in the design, development and manufacture of military and commercial electronics for air, space, land, and sea applications. Its products are used throughout the world in a wide range of military and commercial applications. Thousands of aircraft incorporate Astronautics flight instruments and systems, displays, computers, and components. Astronautics’ major product lines include aircraft cockpit integrated avionics systems, navigation systems, electronic flight bags, flight instruments, high resolution flat panel displays, mission and display processors, symbol generators, flight director computers, air data computers, airborne server units, and flap control systems. Astronautics also performs complete upgrade and integration of avionics, communication and defensive systems for multiple types of aircraft.
Level: Reports to the President (Must currently be at a Director-level or equivalent position)
Education: Bachelor’s or Masters degree in Engineering or Computer Science required. MBA or
MS Management preferred.
· Lead and manage a multi-disciplinary engineering department comprised of 250+ engineers and technicians in the development of hardware and software intensive products for the military and commercial avionics market.
· Work closely with the Executive Team to win and cost effectively execute projects while meeting customer requirements and expectations
· Develop and implement a strategy for continuous improvement in technology, processes, quality and project execution while respecting the work and processes of the past
· Drive results through inspired leadership and accountability to ensure that projects are completed on schedule and within budget while fostering a culture of innovation and technical excellence
· Develop and implement a strategy for the measurement of performance to support the continuous improvement process
· Work closely with managers and directors to acquire and assign resources to meet commitments.
· Provide technical direction and guidance and hands-on project management as required, for all product development.
· Ensure full compliance, through structured requirements management practices, to all applicable requirements and specifications imposed by the company, the customer and/or regulatory agencies.
· Ensure that Systems, Hardware and Software development tools are continuously improved and effectively utilized to ensure the timely and cost –effective development of high quality state-of-the-art products.
· Provide leadership and direction for the continuous improvement of a disciplined and aggressive proposal process which emphasizes innovative and cost effective technical solutions for our customers
· Drive the direction of product development by staying informed of new developments in applicable technology.
Position Location: Astronautics Corporate Headquarters, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Salary: Dependent on experience and skills, plus benefits, bonus, profit sharing, and
401(k) match. Relocation assistance available.
- 10+ years senior management experience managing and leading complex avionics or military systems product design, involving significant software and hardware components. Experience should include leading projects with 50+ team members, leading engineers at multiple locations, leading technical groups consisting of multiple functional roles (such as software, systems, hardware, mechanical, technical writing), and working with both line and matrix organizations.
- Must have an understanding of engineering design principles, and financial, sales, and marketing needs as related to product design and development.
- Experience successfully managing engineering resources in an environment with multiple complex projects.
· In depth experience in Engineering Quality Product Assurance.
· Demonstrated leadership, mentoring and team building skills.
· Strong operational and technical project management skills.
· Experience in Avionic and/or Defense industries.
· Possess R & D, budget experience
· Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization and with customers.
· Experience in MS Project and requirements planning.
· BS in Engineering or Computer Science required; MBA or MS Management preferred.
Hill Associates LLC
183 Bayberry Road
Fairfield, CT 06825