IEEE 3 E-Conf - 20 January 2001

Morning Session

DaveG>> Welcome to the first EXCOM meeting of 2001 under the leadership ...

DaveG>> of Director Dick Riddle. At his request, I am serving as your ...

DaveG>> meeting facilitator. This is a formal meeting potentially with votes ...

DaveG>> and an executive session. We will have both a log (except for the ...

DaveG>> executive session) and minutes. ...

Atef>> Good morning

DaveG>> On our http://www.ewh.ieee.org/reg/3/excom/meetings/2001-01/agendas.html ...

DaveG>> we have the procedures that we will use for voting, executive ...

DaveG>> sessions, and the roster under item 2 of the agenda has an ...

DaveG>> asterisk for each voting member EXCEPT our director, past director ...

DaveG>> and director-elect who also have a vote.

DaveG>> What I would like to do first is have eveyone say their name ...

DaveG>> into the channel. That way we will have a log of names versus nicknames...

DaveG>> So for example: Dave Green ...

DaveG>> (You don't have to wait your turn for this but just do it. Now)

DaleC>> Dale CAston

BillR>> Bill Ratcliff

DanJ>> Dan Jackson SC'02 Cocordinator

CharlesH>> Charles Hickman

DickR>> Dick Riddle

EdO>> Ed O'Brien

Jambo>> Ralph Russell

donhill>> Don Hill

GroveH>> Andrew Hargrove

ChipD>> Carlisle T.Dawson newsletter editor and Webmaster

JimB>> James H. Beall Chair Nominating Cmt

SeanH>> Sean Haynes

Lee>> Lee Stogner - Public Information

BillH>> Bill Harrison

ButchS>> Butch Shadwell

BobD>> Bob Duggan

Atef>> Atef Elsherbeni

CharlesL>> Charles Lord (also Reed Thompson in same room)

DaveG>> JohnP -> please introduce yourself

GroveH>> Andrew Hargrove, past chair VA Council.

JohnP>> Good Morning from John Parr

DaveG>> Thank you and welcome all...

DaveG>> We will use our protocol of asking for recognition to ...

DaveG>> speak by sending "C" for comment or "Q" for question into ...

DaveG>> channel and I will recognize you. Note the use of the "..." ...

DaveG>> to imply that my thought continues on the next line. ...

DaveG>> You end a line with a "." or "?" when done and the facilitator ...

DaveG>> will resume 'control'.

DaveG>> John Twitchell is unable to join us due to a last minute work ...

DaveG>> assignment that puts him in court today. He has sent in his report ...

DaveG>> and provided me with his action items. Alas, he was thinking it ...

DaveG>> was also going to eliminate Jim Howard's connectivity.

DaveG>> The proposed agenda is located at ...

DaveG>> lhttp://www.ewh.ieee.org/reg/3/excom/meetings/2001-01/agendas.html#Region3Excom ...

DaveG>> At this time, I would like to invite Director Riddle to ...

DaveG>> make any comments he would like to... GA (Go Ahead) DickR.

DickR>> Welcome to all for our first meeting of the 2001 ExCom...

DickR>> I am looking forward to an exciting year for Region 3...

DickR>> as you read the ExCom reports you will see that...

DickR>> a lot will be going on in our Region this year...

DickR>> as you read the ExCom reports you will see that...

DickR>> sorry let's get going on 2001.

DaveG>> http://www.ewh.ieee.org/reg/3/excom/meetings/2001-01/agendas.html#Region3Excom ...

DaveG>> is the agenda uRL (I had an 'l' in front which kept it from being clickable -- sorry)

DaveG>> Thanks Dick...

DaveG>> Does anyone have any changes or additions to the agenda? Q/C?

DaveG>> Hearing none...

DaveG>> We will move to item 2 Approval of Director's Ad Hoc Committees and Appointments ...

DaveG>> http://www.ewh.ieee.org/reg/3/excom/meetings/2001-01/roster2001.html

DaveG>> This action enables this meeting . Any Q/C?

DaveG>> This will also be our first vote...

DaveG>> Facilitator will announce topic and ask for those in favor....

DaveG>> Members who can vote enter "Y" into channel ...

DaveG>> those opposed...

DaveG>> Members will enter "N" into channel ...

DaveG>> Those abstaining...

DaveG>> Members will enter "A" into channel ...

DaveG>> Facilitator will announce vote. ...

DaveG>> Unless group requests a recorded vote, the actual vote will be deleted ...

DaveG>> from the log before posting.

DaveG>> Only voting members of the excom should vote and you may review that list by going to ..

CharlesH>> y

DaveG>> this roster.

DaveG>> **** VOTING HAPPENED HERE**************

DaveG>> Motion carries and we have an Excom.

DaveG>> Item 3 is "Special Guests"... I would note that we have our old friends ...

DaveG>> Ralph Russell and Grove Hargrove here but no outside Region 3 guests...

DaveG>> DickR -> do you expect any?

DickR>> Yes I ....

BobD>> c

BobD>> Carol C

BobD>> Carol Goodale of IEEE may come.

DickR>> talked to the lady Carol C yesterday and she said that...

DickR>> she would try to join us if she could get on.

DaveG>> Thanks. BobD did you have a comment?

BobD>> Carol is doing an article ...

BobD>> on e-conferencing, and she talked with DickR and me yesterday. She may join us.

DaveG>> Thank you. ... Any other Q/C?

DaveG>> I will take this opportunity to remind participants...

DaveG>> that we have a time specific agenda item. We cover the awards ...

DaveG>> action item #11b at about 10 minutes to the lunch break.

DaveG>> Hi Devon! Please identify yourself.

Devon>> Jamaica Section (Devon and Robie)

Jambo>> "c"

DaveG>> Thank you and welcome Robie as well. Devon Gayle, Windfred Roberts -- right?

Jambo>> I received the following message: DaveG has been sending messages to you too rapidly, and is now being ignored.

Jambo>> I is this corrected?

DaveG>> I have asked BillR to work with Jambo.

DaveG>> Let us now review the Consent Agenda ...

DaveG>> We have three items: approval of minutes, approval of travel policy, and receipt of the ...

DaveG>> the information agenda reports. Note there is a separate action on ...

DaveG>> special travel policy for Southeastcon 2001 on the agenda. ...

DaveG>> Does anyone wish to remove an item from the consent agenda?

DaveG>> Q/C?

DaveG>> Hearing none, then I assume the consent agenda is fine...

Jambo>> NO

DaveG>> Jambo are you talking to the group?

DaveG>> (I think he is working with BillR)

DaveG>> Does anyone wish to add anything to the other parts of the agenda?

DaveG>> Q/C?

DaveG>> OK, hearing none. I assume we have an agenda unless I hear objection.

DaveG>> We will now move to item 6 Director's comments => GA DickR

DickR>> I do not have any additional comments.

DaveG>> Any Q/C for DickR re his submitted report?

DaveG>> Hi again Jambo.

DaveG>> Item 7. Past director's comments ...

DaveG>> DaleC posted these to group (and they are on web). He evidently ...

DaveG>> had some connection problems and dropped off a few minutes ago...

DaveG>> any Q/C on his report?

DaveG>> Item 8, the secretary's report is also posted -- any Q/C?

DaveG>> Item 9, the treasurer's report is also posted and CharlesH recently sent out ...

DaveG>> some clarifications, additions, etc. which are also linked in as "additional information"...

DaveG>> Any Q/C on this report?

CharlesH>> No changes from previous report. Still no end-of-year...

CharlesH>> report on long term investment.

DaveG>> Q/C?

DaveG>> Item 10. Director-Elect's report ...

DaveG>> This too is linked in. Jim Howard normally connects with John Twitchell and I ...

DaveG>> think John's problem has caused Jim's absence as well...

DaveG>> Any Q/C on his report?

DaveG>> That completes the officer reports...

DaveG>> and moves us to the Action Agenda. Item 11a is the approval of the

DaveG>> 2001 budget from the finance committee ...

DaveG>> A PDF of the budget is downloadedable from the agenda link ...

DaveG>> CharlesH -> would you like to make any comments?

CharlesH>> Two minor modifications were submitted...

CharlesH>> to Excom yesterday. Otherwise, budget is same.

DaveG>> Thanks . Q/C?

DaveG>> Any objections to voting now?

DaveG>> If not, vote Y to approve, N to disapprove, and A to abstain on this budget as posted and modified. Vote now.

DaveG>> ************ VOTING HAPPENNED HERE*************

DaveG>> Thank you. I would note the budget is approved. Do any of the abstainers wish to be recorded?

DaveG>> Hearing none...

DaveG>> We will skip over 11b (doing it at the specific time)...

DaveG>> so we are now to item 11c approval of 2001 Strategic and Operational Plan ...

DaveG>> http://www.ewh.ieee.org/reg/3/spc/sp2001a.html (I think)...

DaveG>> BobD-> would you like to make any comments?

BobD>> Yes ...

BobD>> The SPC has been updating our 2000 Plan. We've ...

BobD>> had several changes which are now incorporated. ...

BobD>> I'd like to get ExCom approval for the current version as a baseline for 2001. ...

BobD>> We'll continue to "massage it as new goals/objectives are identified. But I hope ...

BobD>> we can approve it today and I so move.

DaveG>> Thank you. It comes from a committee and needs no second...

DaveG>> Q/C?

DaveG>> hearing none. All in favor say Y, opposed N, abstain A. Vote now.

DaveG>> ***************Voting Happened Here********************

DaveG>> Motion carries and we have a SOP for 2001. Thank you. ...

DaveG>> Item 11d previously posted and discussed has been withdrawn for additional work...

DaveG>> Item 11e. Move that the initial $50,000 and any other distributions received by Region 3 from Southcon

DaveG>> be deposited into a separate Concentration Banking Program account. The proposed name

DaveG>> for this account is IEEE Region 3 Southcon.

DaveG>> By Charles Hickman (FInance Committee)... GA CharlesH

JimB>> c

CharlesH>> Other names have been proposed for account...

CharlesH>> These names were submitted yesterday. We need to ...

CharlesH>> approve motion first.

DaveG>> Thank you. GA JimB

JimB>> I ope that this action is broad enough to allow additions from other sources...

CharlesH>> c

JimB>> example from the existing reserve a/c conferences.

DaveG>> GA CharlesH

DaveG>> (Hi bwalcott, please say full name into channel)

bwalcott>> bruce walcott (hi!)

CharlesH>> I believe other sources can be added...

CharlesH>> The name IEEE Conference Reserve may fit better.

DaveG>> Other Q/C?

JimB>> c

DaveG>> GA JimB

JimB>> Make it IEEE R3 Conference Reserve

CharlesH>> c

DaveG>> CharlesH: GA

CharlesH>> Sorry, Jim is correct.

DaveG>> OK. I assume you are considering this a friendly ammendment to your committee's motion?

CharlesH>> yes

DaveG>> OK. Other Q/C?

CharlesH>> c

DaveG>> GA CharlesH

CharlesH>> FYI, the $50,000 has been deposited in our....

CharlesH>> regular account awaiting action today.

DaveG>> Thank you. Other Q/C?

DaveG>> Any objections to voting on this motion now?

DaveG>> If not, vote Y/N/A re approval of establishment of the account named IEEE R3 Conference Reserve now.

DaveG>> ********************Voting Happened here**************

DaveG>> Motion carries.

DaveG>> OK, that moves us to item 11f...

DaveG>> Special Travel Policy for Southeastcon 2001/Region 3 Meeting

DaveG>> http://ecelx00.eng.uab.edu/cgi-bin/dnewsweb?utag=&group=ieee.r3excom&xrelated=16&cmd_related=Related+Items

DaveG>> CharlesL -> please start this discussion.

DaveG>> OK, Charles and Reed are actually in a IEEE meeting representing ...

DaveG>> R3 in Atlanta and are dialed in from that meeting. I am guessing their ...

DaveG>> attention is elsewhere at this minute. ...

DaveG>> I believe the basic idea is to pre-authorize car rentals (and other forms of transportation) ...

DaveG>> that are less expensive than other conveyance from the airport (or airline plus airport) rather ...

JimB>> I thought that Dir Riddle did this by exutive decisson some time back...

DaveG>> than have a large number of excecption requests hit the director. DickR ...

DaveG>> is this the essence of the action? (jimB please hold C till recognized).

DaveG>> GA DickR

CharlesL>> c

DickR>> OK...

DickR>> Dave and Jim are right what I wanted to do is...

DickR>> to get the ExCom to approve thisw one time exception to our...

DickR>> travel policy so that I did not have to take each request...

DickR>> for the use of a rental car on a one by one bases.

DaveG>> Thanks DickR. GA JimB

JimB>> Since Dick R sent the email I thought it was then automatic...

JimB>> go ahead and vote the motion and be sure were are on same shhet of music

DaveG>> Thank you. GA CharlesH

DaveG>> oops CharlesL

CharlesL>> Sorry about being away - as Dave said I am multi-tasking today. As Dick stated, idea was to allow (and encourage) people...

CharlesL>> to use some crativity to find the best (economical) way to get there.

DaveG>> Other Q/C?

DaveG>> Any objections to voting on the policy waiver ?

DaveG>> OK vote Y/N/A on the approval of this one time policy waiver now.

DaveG>> *******************Voting Happened Here***************

DaveG>> Motion carries.

DaveG>> That completes the action agenda except for our time specific item...

DaveG>> Moving to the discussion agenda...

DaveG>> Item 12a is "2001 Fall Excom Meeting"...

DaveG>> http://ecelx00.eng.uab.edu/cgi-bin/dnewsweb?utag=&group=ieee.r3excom&xrelated=13&cmd_related=Related+Items ...

DaveG>> gives some of the history of recent excoms. CharlesH's additional treasurer ...

DaveG>> information included costs of recent excoms including one in Jamaica ...

DaveG>> http://www.ewh.ieee.org/reg/3/excom/meetings/2001-01/treasurer-update.txt ...

DaveG>> DickR -> would you like to start this topic?

DickR>> OK...

DickR>> I know that many of you are looking forward to holding ...

DickR>> our ExCom meeting in Jamaica but...

DickR>> as CharlesH has pointed out in his cost table...

DickR>> the last ExCom meeting was expensive...

DickR>> I am reluctant to spend that much on one meeting....

DickR>> considering the loss of income from SouthCon....

DickR>> how ever I am still open to meeting in Jamaica if we can...

SeanH>> C

DickR>> find a way to reduce those costs.

DaveG>> Thank you DickR. GA SeanH and then I will ask CharlesL for any comments he wishes to make.

SeanH>> This seems a little confusing to me. From looking at the numbers...

SeanH>> we have eliminated 2 meetings a year at an average cost of ...

SeanH>> $10K per meeting by using the e-conferencing. Unless I missed ...

SeanH>> the line item, but the budgeted income from SouthCon was only ...

ButchS>> C

SeanH>> $4000. The way I add the numbers, that puts ahead $6K...

SeanH>> There maybe other numbers that I may be missing, but I think that ...

SeanH>> with the savings that e-conferencing has gained us can allow us to budget...

SeanH>> 1 meeting in Jamaica every 4 our 5 years without throwing everything into...

SeanH>> disarray.

DaveG>> Thank you Sean. GA CharlesL.

CharlesL>> A few issues - I feel IMHO that we can afford this although it WILL be somewhat more than meeting in most (but not all) R3 cities. I look at moving around the region (last Jamaica trip was '95) and issues of SPC to woo Trinidad. It would show good sup;ort for these issues...

CharlesL>> Also, I like the idea of the "carrot" to reward our volunteers for embracing econf...

CharlesL>> as Sean pointed out, this has saved mucho $$$ that Southcon doesn't provide any more...

CharlesL>> IF we are careful, we can do this...

CharlesL>> ('nuff said).

DaveG>> Thank you. GA ButchS

ButchS>> Perhaps Charles H will comment, but I don't see a Jamaica meeting as an increase over previous years...

CharlesH>> c

ButchS>> If our goal is to always be as cheap as possible, we should always meet just outside of Atlanta.

DaveG>> Thank you. GA CharlesH

CharlesH>> The 2001 budget reflects the probability of Excom...

CharlesH>> meeting in Jamaica. In 1995 the numbers reflect three...

CharlesH>> meetings including Jamaica. I believe we can afford...

CharlesH>> Jamaica since we are reducing the number of meetings...

CharlesH>> through e-conferencing.

DaveG>> Thank you CharlesH. Other Q/C?

BillR>> c

DaveG>> GA BillR

BillR>> I am for a meeting in Jamaica but...

BillR>> we should not forget that some of the savings...

BillR>> from e-conferencing is going to ...

BillR>> support the additional cost for Vice Chairs to attend SoutheastCon 2001.

Devon>> c

DaveG>> Thank you. GA Devon

ButchS>> C

Devon>> Why not integrate this Excom with another activity?...

Devon>> conference/Training for instance.

CharlesH>> c

DaveG>> Thank you. GA ButchS

ButchS>> I'm not sure if a Jamaica meeting is the right choice, but maybe we need to review the SPC financial objectives.

DaveG>> Thank you. GA CharlesH

CharlesH>> The $55k in the budget tried to include both...

CharlesH>> vice chair attendance and the potential Jamaica Excom.

DaveG>> Thank you. Other Q/C?

DaveG>> Hearing none....

DaveG>> I would note that meeting location is the Director's choice. DickR would, however, like ...

DaveG>> to have a straw vote to get your input. Please vote Y/N/A (as a straw vote) ...

DaveG>> on whether you favor the fall R3 Excom meeting being located in Jamaica assuming that ...

DaveG>> arrangments consistent with the budget plans can be made. Straw vote now.

DaveG>> ************Straw Vote Here, All Y's from those who voted**************

DaveG>> OK, I think that is a reasonably clear straw vote ! DickR -> any comments you would like to make?

DickR>> Yes...

DickR>> what I would like to do is appoint a committee to get the...

DickR>> best deal we can for the meeting....

SeanH>> C

DickR>> I would like to appoint CharlesL, BobD, Vernon Powers, Devon and ...

ButchS>> c

DickR>> any others that would like to serve to start now and...

DickR>> see what we can get in the way of a package deal for our meeting.

DaveG>> OK. I assume all named and present are willing to serve unless they "c" for a comment shortly...

DaveG>> GA SeanH

SeanH>> I would think IEEE Conference Services would be able to help us with this. I also agree...

SeanH>> with Devon that if we do this we should make the most of it. Maybe a Student Leadership Training...

SeanH>> session scheduled at the same time.

DaveG>> Thank you. GA ButchS

ButchS>> As a Trinidad native, I would be willing to contact members there and encourage their attendance.

BobD>> q

DaveG>> As I understand it, you are asking to join the committee?

CharlesL>> We are drafting him

ButchS>> Only if the committee feels I can be of use.

DaveG>> It sounds like your help would be appreciated. GA BobD

BobD>> Any preferred dates in Oct/Nov?

DaveG>> Other Q/C?

SeanH>> C

DickR>> c

DaveG>> (IEEE Board Series is Nov 14-18)

DaveG>> GA SeanH

SeanH>> I would attempt to schedule for an off-peak time to try and save on airfare if that becomes an issue.

DaveG>> Thank you. GA DickR

DickR>> I sugget the last two weeks in Oct or 1st week of Nov.

DaveG>> OK. Any other Q/C?

DaveG>> OK. We have a committee to pursue this further. ...

DaveG>> They can work in the Excom NG or we can set up another one. ...

DaveG>> OK, we are going to get Ralph in this morning right before the Exec session....

DaveG>> This is the Jamboree (item 12b on the discussion agenda). He filed a nice report which ...

DaveG>> I posted in PDF so that you can view it. GA Jambo

Jambo>> Thanks for your support of the Jamboree Project...

Jambo>> Hardware for the project is now being developed in Texas...

Jambo>> We have a meeting Sunday to work on the soldering portion..

Jambo>> Yesterday we had a meeting at the National Scout Office in Irving, Texas to discuss..

Jambo>> several volunteer registration items...

Jambo>> We are now developing a project web site...

Jambo>> The domain name selected is www.eMeritBadges.com...

Jambo>> The web site should be up and running the middle of February...

Jambo>> Next Saturday we have a meeting in Oxford, NC to discuss our Public..

Jambo>> Relations activities....

Jambo>> Just as reminder, the Jambo dates are 23 July - August..

Jambo>> We need a few hundred part-time volunteers..

Jambo>> Do you have any specific comments?

DaveG>> Thanks Jambo. Q/C?

ChipD>> c

DaveG>> GA ChipD

ChipD>> JAmbo => please keep me informaed of your web activities so I can ...

ButchS>> c

ChipD>> keep the Region Website up to date. Aslo if you need any web help contact me.

DaveG>> Thanks ChipD. GA ButchS

ButchS>> I think the IEEE might have volunteers to support more merit badges...

Jambo>> Q

ButchS>> Such as the nuclear power merit badge. I got it in 1963.

DaveG>> Thanks ButchS. GA Jambo .

Jambo>> ChipD, What is your email address..

Jambo>> The Atomic Energy Merit Badge is schedule for space in our tent..

ChipD>> c.t.dawson@ieee.org or c.t.dawson@computer.org

Jambo>> but the original supporters have declined to continue...

Jambo>> Are you interested in organizing this merit badge?

DaveG>> Thanks Jambo. Perhaps you and ButchS could work this off-line. Any last Q/C?

ButchS>> I would love to help, but I can't be there for the jamboree.

DaveG>> Hearing none, thanks for your efforts Ralph. It looks like this is coming together very nicely...

DaveG>> and you can see we are supportive of these efforts. ...

DaveG>> We will now begin an executive session to consider item 11b ...

DaveG>> those members who are not voting members of the Excom must leave ...

DaveG>> this channel. Director Riddle has announced ...

DaveG>> that he will continue past practice of inviting past Region 3 ...

DaveG>> Directors to participate in the Executive Session. ...

DaveG>> http://www.ewh.ieee.org/reg/3/excom/meetings/2001-01/roster2001.html ...

DaveG>> has the roster and has an asterisk next to members with votes ...

DaveG>> (plus the director, immediate past-director, plus director-elect) ...

DaveG>> You may do leave the channel with the command "/part #ieee3 ...

DaveG>> you may wish to go to the hallway by giving the command ...

DaveG>> to take the opportunity for an early lunch as we will not reconvene ...

DaveG>> until after lunch (at 2pm EST). At this time...

DaveG>> will all non-voting members except past Region 3 Directors leave ...

DaveG>> the channel.

ChipD>> GOing to ieeer3-Hall

DaveG>> BillH -> could I ask you to leave the channel please?

JimB>> It is high 12:03, we have a new President

JohnP>> hooray!

DaveG>> BEGIN EXECUTIVE SESSION, CONTENTS TILL "END EXECUTIVE SESSION" CONFIDENTIAL

DaveG>> END EXECUTIVE SESSION

DaveG>> This concludes the morning session and we will resume at 2pm EST (about 1.5 hours). DickR -> any comments?

DickR>> Thanks for coming and I'll see you at 2pm .

DaveG>> Thank you. We are recessed.


Afternoon Session

DaveG>> Welcome back to the second half of the Region 3 Excom ...

DaveG>> DickR reports that DaleC is having computer problems and probably won't be back ...

DaveG>> In Executive Session, the EXCOM approved the following awards:

DaveG>> Dr. Robert Ashley to receive the Outstanding Service ...

DaveG>> Award "For outstanding service in advancing IEEE professional and ...

DaveG>> scientific goals at the section, region, and international levels". ...

DaveG>> Dr. K. B. Sundaram to receive the Outstanding ...

DaveG>> Engineering Educator Award for "his commitment to engineering ...

DaveG>> education". ...

DaveG>> Dr. Armando J. Vigil to receive the Outstanding ...

DaveG>> Engineer Award "for contributions to digital television and audio ...

DaveG>> broadcasting". ...

DaveG>> Please do not broadcast or tell the awardees ...

DaveG>> until DickR has an opportunity to formally congratulate them. ...

DaveG>> Q/C?

DaveG>> (Welcome back Robbie/Devon)

DaveG>> Welcome back bwalcott

DaveG>> DickR do you have any opening comments?

DickR>> None that I can think of at the moment.

DaveG>> OK...

DaveG>> Before we begin the information agenda, does anyone at this time plan ...

DaveG>> to bring up any "Old Business" or "New Business" ? Q/C?

DickR>> c

DaveG>> GA DickR

DickR>> I have one comment that we may want to discuss at some point...

DickR>> as you all know we are allowed to have other bank account...

DickR>> other than CB. To get that compromise we must enforce...

DickR>> the requirement to have signature cards signed by the ....

DickR>> IEEE Finacial Director.

DaveG>> Why don't we continue that now as the last item under the discussion agenda...

DaveG>> Would you like to make a continuing comment?

DaveG>> GA DickR

DickR>> OK I have asked Section/Chapter suppport staff...

DickR>> to provided me with a weekly report of all units that...

DickR>> have not complied with this requirement starting in Feb....

DickR>> I am asking all of you to help me get the Section and Chapters...

DickR>> in Region 3 to comply.

CharlesH>> c

DaveG>> GA CharlesH

CharlesH>> I have electronic copies of the forms required...

CharlesH>> that I can distribute to Excom members if they wish.

DickR>> c

DaveG>> GA DickR

DickR>> Please do it ChalresH.

ChipD>> c

DaveG>> Would it make sense to post them to WebSite?

DaveG>> GA ChipD

DickR>> Yes

DaveG>> (Welcome back JohnP)

JimB>> c

ChipD>> send them to me and I will post to the web

DaveG>> Thanks ChipD. GA JimB

JimB>> and send them to the sections/chapters...

BillR>> c

DaveG>> JimB -> are you done?

JimB>> S/C staff may not really know about other a/cs if the section has cb a/c that is what I learned at Tamoa mtgs

DaveG>> (sorry)

DickR>> c

DaveG>> Thanks JimB. GA BillR

BillR>> Is there any reason not to post the status of the section/ chapter compliance ...

BillR>> so that all of us can help to get this done...

ButchS>> q

BillR>> within our own areas.

DaveG>> Thanks Bill. GA DickR

DickR>> CharlesH and Reed will you get a reading from S/C support...

DickR>> staff about JImB's comment?

DaveG>> CharlesH: OK?

DickR>> c

CharlesH>> ok

DaveG>> GA ButchS

ButchS>> Never mind -

DaveG>> OK. GA DickR

DickR>> I don't have a problem with posting the units that are not...

DickR>> incompliance with the requirement.

DaveG>> Other Q/C?

ButchS>> q

DaveG>> GA ButchS

ButchS>> Can we make the rebate continent in some way on signature cards?

DickR>> c

DaveG>> GA DickR

DickR>> Yes that is the plan if the BoD approves it at...

DickR>> the Feb meeting.

DaveG>> Other Q/C?

DaveG>> OK. That completes the discussion agenda ...

DaveG>> OK, in the interest of efficiency, we are going to go through the ...

DaveG>> information agenda with the following approach, ...

DaveG>> I will mention the information item, the 'owner' will say either Y or N ...

DaveG>> depending on whether they wish to make additional comments and ...

DaveG>> members will say Q or C if they have a question or comment on a particular ...

DaveG>> item. My goal is just to make sure we spend our time on discussing ...

DaveG>> those items that members feel needs discussion rather than ...

DaveG>> merely going over items that have been clearly reported and need ...

DaveG>> no further discussion. Unless asked to do otherwise, I will start with ...

DaveG>> item 5 on the information agenda as we have already gone over officer reports...

DaveG>> Q/C on process?

DaveG>> Hearing none, we will start with item 5...

DaveG>> Past Director report => any Q/C?

DaveG>> hearing none...

DaveG>> Awards & Recognition report --> any Q/C?

DaveG>> Communications report -> BillR Comments?

BillR>> N

DaveG>> Q/C?

DaveG>> Archive -> Q/C?

DaveG>> Electronic Communications ...

DaveG>> We are, with the Comm. Committee looking at the tasks and will be proposing some ...

DaveG>> changes eventually. Q/C?

DickR>> c

DaveG>> GA DickR

DickR>> Any word on the SPAM problem?

DaveG>> No. I do plan to 1) write a short article on what it is/what individuals can do ...

DaveG>> and 2) discuss in RAB ECC what might be done long term to protect things better.

DaveG>> Other Q/C?

DaveG>> Newsletter -> ChipD Comments?

ChipD>> y

DaveG>> GA

ChipD>> The report for the newsletter and website have been ...

ChipD>> files electronicly. The print version of the newsletter is...

ChipD>> ready for the printer. I will be mailing it to Jim Howard in ...

ChipD>> Tampa for printing. The eNewsletter will be online in the next...

ChipD>> week. ...

ChipD>> As a note to everyone any reports that were recieved after 01/15/2001 ...

ChipD>> will be in the electronic version only of the newsletter. ...

ChipD>> I have asked to establish a newsgroup for the newsletter. ieeer3.newsletter

DaveG>> (It is on my todo list along with your other one)

DaveG>> Other Q/C?

DaveG>> Public Information -> Q/C?

DaveG>> Webmaster -> ChipD comments?

ChipD>> y

DaveG>> GA

ChipD>> As to the website...

ChipD>> Everything is in good shape. I have several updates to add over the next couple of weeks...

ChipD>> I am happy to report that all areas except for Kentucky (I think Don Hill is working on one ...

ChipD>> but I have lost the link to the site) and Mississippi/Alabama (I have not approached ...

ChipD>> the Chair, it is on my todo list) have websites

DaveG>> Thanks. Q/C?

DaveG>> Conferences -> CharlesL comments?

CharlesL>> y

DaveG>> GA

CharlesL>> SOUTHCON is not dead, it is just asleep...

CharlesL>> Otherwise, see y'all in Clemson!

DaveG>> Thanks. Q/C (we will go through the subitems) ?

DaveG>> Southeastcon 2000 - Any Q/C?

DaveG>> Southeastcon 2001 - Any Q/C?

DickR>> c

DaveG>> GA DickR

DickR>> We will have the RAB OpCom and IEEE Prsident with us at...

DickR>> SoutheastCon 2001 so we should have a good opertunity...

DickR>> to let them see how the best Region in IEEE operates and...

DickR>> give them some of our comments about how they should ...

DickR>> run IEEE <G>.

DaveG>> Thank you. Other Q/C?

DaveG>> Southcon - Comments JimB?

JimB>> The Southcon Report was sent this am to the ExCom

DaveG>> Thanks. Q/C?

DaveG>> Educational Activities -> Comments Atef?

DaveG>> Educational Activities -> Comments Atef?

DaveG>> He must be away at moment, any Q/C?

Atef>> n

DaveG>> Thank you.

DaveG>> Hi dbower, would you give your full name?

dbower>> hello David Bower

dbower>> david Bower

DaveG>> Welcome. We are on item 10 on information agenda.

dbower>> Thanks

DaveG>> Finance Committee -> any comments CharlesH?

CharlesH>> No other comments.

DaveG>> any q/c?

DaveG>> Membership Development -> comments ButchS?

ButchS>> I think ctl-G is the ascii BELL character to wake folks up.

ButchS>> No other comments

DaveG>> <G> Thanks

DaveG>> Q/C?

DaveG>> Professional Activities Operations Committee --> DonH any comments?

donhill>> q

DaveG>> GA donhill

donhill>> I need the comm comments about how to encourage more SPAC's in R3.

DaveG>> OK. Q/C?

CharlesH>> c

DaveG>> GA CharlesH

CharlesH>> There may be more Spacs, but they do not know...

CharlesH>> about Region support.

CharlesL>> c

DaveG>> Thank you. Other Q/C?

DaveG>> GA CharlesL

CharlesL>> suggest everyone here contact at least one branch and encourage a spring s-pac...

CharlesL>> you can even volunteer as a speaker!

DaveG>> Thank you. Perhaps, Don, a NG discussion on the PAO newsgroup with help from bwalcott and others would be appropriate.

DaveG>> Q/C?

bwalcott>> q

DaveG>> GA bwalcott

bwalcott>> don...do you know about GATech's spac?

DaveG>> GA donhill

donhill>> i saw the memo asking for more information, but did not see completed SPAC.

DaveG>> Other Q/C?

DaveG>> PACE - any Q/C?

DaveG>> USAB Employment Assistance - any Q/C?

DaveG>> Nominations & Employment - JimB any comments?

JimB>> y

DaveG>> GA

JimB>> The Secretary informed me that the Region Committee voted to confirm Don Hill and Bill Harrison as choices for Director Elect balloting in the fall. It is now up to the director to notify HQ

DaveG>> At the direction of the Director, I have done this and received an acknowledgement from them.

DaveG>> Other Q/C?

DaveG>> Strategic Planning (and 2001 Plan) -> comments BobD?

BobD>> n

DaveG>> Q/C?

DaveG>> Student Activities -> comments bwalcott?

bwalcott>> y

DaveG>> GA

bwalcott>> Just wanted to add that we have employed our e-meeting technology…

bwalcott>> In our last SACs meeting in December. Since SACs is truly an…

bwalcott>> International meeting, the e-forum was quite effective. The moderator…

bwalcott>> Was our own David Green (thanks Dave)!

DaveG>> Thanks. Q/C?

DaveG>> Regional Student Representative -> Q/C?

DaveG>> Area 1 / Virginia Council -> SeanH (sorry for goof in agenda) any comments?

SeanH>> Y

DaveG>> GAZ

DaveG>> GA

SeanH>> Just wanted to say that I asked Grove to write a report for me...

SeanH>> He has written the report and sent it to me and ChipD. I will ...

SeanH>> review it and send it to the Excom most likely on Monday...

SeanH>> Sorry for the delay. Been very busy. Need Vacation.

DaveG>> <G> Thanks. Q/C?

DaveG>> Area 2/NC Council -> comments CharlesL

DaveG>> ?

CharlesL>> n

DaveG>> Thanks. Q/C?

DaveG>> Area 3 - any comments EdO?

EdO>> none

DaveG>> Q/C?

DaveG>> Area 4 / Florida Council - Q/C?

DaveG>> Area 5 /Tennessee Council - dbower any comments?

dbower>> Report posted electronically...

dbower>> Please note Tri-Cities Section is now back and active with officer election for 2001 completed...

dbower>> 3 sections have requested training for new 2001 officers...

dbower>> will work with Headquarters on this. Tnx

DaveG>> Thank you & good news. Q/C?

JimB>> who are Tri City Officers

dbower>> please stand by...

DanJ>> c

DaveG>> GA DanJ

dbower>> The Chair is Hugh Blanton...

CharlesL>> c

dbower>> Vice Chair is Jon Shaneyfelt...

dbower>> Ralph Young is Secretary...

dbower>> and Paul Lebhardt is Treasurer.

DanJ>> Reed Thompson is the Region 3 Leadership Development Committee...

DanJ>> He can arrange for one of the R3 Leadeship Trainers to provide...

DanJ>> a session for Tri Cities or the TN Council.

DaveG>> Thank you. GA CharlesL

CharlesL>> Please let ReedT know who needs training cc me (he is standing right here)...

CharlesL>> We will be rollong out trainer training this year (what we are doing in ATL).

dbower>> dbower

DaveG>> GA dbower

ChipD>> c

dbower>> The three sections, so far, req training are: Tri-Cities, Nashville and Memphis.

CharlesL>> c

DaveG>> THanks. GA ChipD

ChipD>> LDC Website is a good starting place: http://ewh.ieee.org/r3/leadership/

DaveG>> Thanks. GA CharlesL

CharlesL>> Dbower please think about it and assign a trainer for TN Council - we will ge glad to get them going for you

DaveG>> Thanks. Any other Q/C?

DaveG>> Area 6 - Q/C?

dbower>> dbower-Q

DaveG>> GA dbower

CharlesH>> q

dbower>> Is it possible to do compressed video training...

dbower>> to cut down on travel costs ?

CharlesL>> c

DaveG>> GA CharlesL (with answer I hope).

CharlesL>> We are working on two issues...

CharlesL>> Chip is working hard with us to get the website with all the info (including the ton of stuff from this weekend)...

CharlesL>> second, we will be training a trainer in each A/C (cut down on travel that way).

DaveG>> OK back to Area 6. GA CharlesH with your Q

CharlesH>> Has Lowell Brothers replaced Darrell for Area 6?

DaveG>> yes.

DaveG>> (even if I failed to note it here, he is on the roster/e-mail)

DaveG>> Other Q/C?

DaveG>> Area 7 / SC Council -> Q/C?

DaveG>> Area 8 -> Comments JohnP?

JohnP>> c

DaveG>> GA

JohnP>> I appologize for my tardiness...

JohnP>> I'll submit a report electronically within the week.

DaveG>> Thank you, we will link it in when it arrives. Any Q/C?

DaveG>> Area 9 -> Robbie any comments?

Robbie>> n

DaveG>> Q/C?

DaveG>> Corporate Communications - BillH comments?

BillH>> Nothing to add at this time -- more later.

DaveG>> Thanks. Q/C?

DaveG>> E-Conferencing -> comments BillR?

BillR>> y

DaveG>> GA

BillR>> Please use the News Groups!

DaveG>> Thanks. Q/C?

DaveG>> I would note that I have been asked to present R3 E-Conf at the IEEE Information Session at the next Organization Unit Series (in Feb).

DaveG>> Other Q/C?

CharlesH>> q

DanJ>> c

DaveG>> GA CharlesH

CharlesH>> Any plans for voice,e.g., PlaceWare?

DaveG>> The information session will also feature it. ...

DaveG>> BillR -> would you like to answer further?

BillR>> All of the technologies...

BillR>> are in the objectives...

BillR>> of the committee for evaluation but...

BillR>> our original quest was / is to find the mix...

BillR>> that works with our members platforms...

BillR>> besides it isn't just the technology it is the total methodology that works!

DaveG>> Thanks. GA DanJ

DanJ>> The Prof Communications Society is holding its first AdCom meeting in 2001 electronically. Are any of the e-conf comte members members of PCS?

DaveG>> I am member of PCS but not their AdCom.

DaveG>> Other Q/C?

DaveG>> Gold Rep -> SeanH any comments?

SeanH>> N

DaveG>> Thanks. Q/C?

DaveG>> History -> any Q/C?

BobD>> C

DaveG>> GA BobD

BobD>> Vernon is working with his team ...

BobD>> on updating the R3 History and expects an ECD this year.

DaveG>> Thanks. Other Q/C?

DaveG>> Leadership Development -> Reed (through CharlesL) any comments?

CharlesL>> None at this time - a lot coming from this weekend so stay tuned.

DaveG>> Q/C?

DanJ>> c

DaveG>> GA DanJ

DanJ>> I have 7 signed up so far for the VA Council Training Session next Sat in Richmond.

DaveG>> Good. Other Q/C?

DaveG>> Regional Life Member Coord. -> Q/C?

DanJ>> c

DaveG>> GA DanJ

DanJ>> There is a Life Member Cmte conf call next week...

DanJ>> The LMC face to face mtg is April 2.

DaveG>> Thanks. Q/C?

JimB>> FWCS has active program lead by Dr Bob Ashley.

DaveG>> Thanks for c JimB. Other Q/C?

DanJ>> c

DaveG>> GA DanJ

DanJ>> Charlotte has an active chapter also.

DaveG>> 10-4. Other Q/C?

DaveG>> Section/Chapter Coordination -> Q/C?

DaveG>> 2002 Sections Congress -> DanJ/ButchS comments?

DanJ>> c

DaveG>> GA DanJ

DanJ>> I intend to ask each Area/Council to provide a name as a SC'02...

DanJ>> local contact to help encourage more Sections to send a delegate.

DaveG>> Other Q/C?

DaveG>> Special Projects -> Q/C?

DaveG>> Special Review Committee -> Q/C?

DaveG>> Any other information agenda items that I missed?

DanJ>> c

DaveG>> GA DanJ

DanJ>> I have the material for the Conf Cmte review. ...

DanJ>> Plan to get to it soon.

DaveG>> OK. Thank you. Other Q/C?

DaveG>> OK, that concludes item 13 Information Agenda on our main agenda ...

DaveG>> Is there any old business?

DaveG>> Is there any new business?

DaveG>> DickR -> would you announce date and location of next meeting and make any closing comments that you wish to?

DickR>> OK ...

DickR>> our next meeting will be at SoutheastCon 2001...

DickR>> I would like to thank all of you for your support to ...

DickR>> the region and for you attendance today....

DickR>> I know that you gave up seeing our New President take the oath...

DickR>> but I feel sure you can see it on the reruns...

DickR>> Thnaks and we will see you at SoutheastCon 2001 in Clemson.

SeanH>> C

DaveG>> Thanks DickR. GA SeanH

SeanH>> I was watching ACC Basketball. You know, stuff that is really important and matters.

DaveG>> Any other business for the group today?

DickR>> c

DaveG>> GA DickR

DickR>> BillH I thought you had more to say?

DaveG>> BillH?

BillH>> Not today.

ButchS>> Thanks for the good job DaveG and to whomever posted the reports so well.

DaveG>> OK. Any other buiness for the group today?

DaveG>> Hearing none, congratulations to all for continuing to improve our meeting effectiveness. Well done. See you in April. DickR would you ajourn the meeting?

DickR>> Meeting Adjorned!


David Green
Last modified: Sat Jan 20 14:56:23 CST 2001