CHARTER OF THE IEEE HOLM CONFERENCE
objective of the Paul and Dee-Dee Slade Young Investigator Award is to
recognize outstanding achievement of young investigators in the field of
Electrical Contacts and to encourage young scientists and engineers to enter
To be eligible for the Award, the candidate
3. METHOD OF SELECTION
The Technical Program Committee
chairman is responsible for selecting the award. The award committee members are the
2. The Technical Program Committee of each Conference will include in the author kit a copy of these Guidelines and a form requesting consideration for the Paul and Dee-Dee Slade Young Investigator Award. The form has a space in which the candidate indicates his or her date of birth.
The Technical Committee will
choose maximum 5 papers per year based on the review results. This selection will take place at the
May/June TPC meeting. The
4. The candidates will be asked to prepare:
1. An oral presentation to be given during the conference
2. A poster that will be part of an interview session by the award committee.
5. At the discretion of the TPC, a special Young Investigator session can be organized if appropriate. Otherwise, eligible papers will be identified at the conference in the program.
6. Selection of the Awardee will be based on:
1. The quality of the written paper
2. The presentation
3. The knowledge and enthusiasm shown by the candidate during the interview session with the poster
7. The Award Committee will nominate a candidate and make a recommendation to Technical and Operations Committees. They will make a final decision.
8. A candidate may only win this award once.
9. The awardee is not eligible for the same years’ prize paper award.
1. The award will consist of a plaque or certificate and a cash award. The amount of the cash award is US$500.
2. The award will be presented at the conference awards lunch or a similar suitable occasion at the following Holm Conference.
3. The awardee will be prominently mentioned in the proceedings of the following conference.
Dr. Paul Slade and Dee-Dee Slade will provide the fund for this award.
6. ADMINISTRATION OF THE AWARD
1) Send out a notice when the abstract acceptance is made to tell prospective attendees that this Award is now an official IEEE Holm Conference Award together with the rules for nomination.
2) When papers come from the candidates inform the technical committee member who has to review the paper that 5 will be in the final judging and that the reviewer has the responsibility to assess the paper for its selection for the final 5.
3) A discussion will be held at the final technical committee’s meeting to accept or reject papers to select the final 5 candidates
4) The finalists will be notified and told to prepare both oral and poster presentations.
5) A committee of 5 will be organized to make the final judgment at the conference
6) At the conference each member of the committee will have a score sheet for each candidate
7) Each committee member will individually assess and discuss each poster with the candidates. I would think about 10 minutes for each interview should be adequate (the tricky part of this will be to discover how much of the work is the candidate’s own)
8) Each member of the committee will score each paper
9) A uniform score sheet needs to be used, for example:
10) The committee meets in the evening of the judging and reviews the scores. It may be obvious at first look who the best candidate is. If not a discussion can be used to pick the final winner.