MINUTES OF MEETING
EMBS STANDARDS COMMITTEE -- November 1, 1997
A meeting of the EMBS Standards Committee was convened on Saturday, November
1, 1997 in the Wisconsin Room of the Downtown Marriott hotel in Chicago,
Illinois at 2:00 p.m., Robert Munzner presiding.
The following persons were present:
The following members did not attend:
1. Guy Hammer reported that extensive effort is being applied to
the an infrared medical imaging standard.
2. Rory Cooper is providing liaison with ANSI. He reported 22 technology standards will
referenced to an ISO counterpart. An ISO standard for powered wheelchairs is being
drafted and many substantial sections have reached the CD level, and a few have
reached the DIS level. The standard is identified as ISO-7176-21.
3. Arthur Sherwood is providing liaison with the working group for gait analysis
devices, but there was nothing new to report.
4. Steli Loznen (by correspondence) will report on IEC TC62 proceedings. He has been
nominated as an official liaison to that committee.
1. Operations and Procedures
The committee resolved to adopt the operating procedures provided in the IEEE model
policy and procedures document with the following modifications:
2. By acclamation, Guy Hammer was appointed to position of Vice-Chair, and Carole Carey
was appointed to the position of Secretary.
- A statement of scope will be provided which conforms to the scope of
the EMBS scope of activities and briefly states our mission.
- A statement to provide for the conduct of committee business by E-mail will be
- There will currently be no Treasurer, there being no committee funds.
3. Standards Activity Data Base
4. Medical Information Bus
- Robert Munzner will begin a tabulation of medical device standards, drafts and
working groups which will accessible from the internet. Members will forward all
relevant data they obtain to email@example.com for inclusion in the tabulation to
develop a continuously updated medical standards compendium.
Alternatively, members with substantial amounts of data may create web pages that can be linked to the primary tabulation.
5. Task Assignments
- There was a mini-symposium* chaired by Robert Kennelly on the Medical
Information Bus (MIB) Standard. Some levels of the Standard have gone to the IEEE
Standards committee. This document is now identified by the title "Standard for
Medical Device Connection IEEE 1073".
- The EMBS Standards Committee is requesting that future working groups have draft
Standards be reviewed (non technical) by this committee before approval by IEEE
Standards. The purpose of this review is to assure that proper procedures have been
followed, the scope is aligned mission of EMBS, and that there will be no apparent
conflicts of interests with the developers.
These minutes were distributed to all persons present and, after 30 days, no
additions or corrections were offered.
- Guy Hammer will provide compendium data for telemedicine and
telemetry standards. He is participating in the Joint Working Group in
Telemedicine, a federal interagency working group.
- Rory Cooper will provide data on ANSI standards with cross-reference
to the applicable ISO Standards.
- Ken Lasala of the IEEE Reliability Society, at the request of the
Chair, will provide liaison with that organization.
Carole C. Carey, Secretary
Robert F. Munzner, Ph.D., Presiding
(*the mini-symposium was part of the EMBS Annual Conference; not connected
with this committee meeting)
Go (return) to the Standards Committee page.