IEEE Orlando Section Monthly - Vol. 45, No. 10 - November 2012
- Nov. 13 - Executive Committee Meeting
- Nov. 15 - IEEE Photonics Student Chapter Seminar: “How to Prepare to be A Faculty"
- Nov. 29- Guided Tour of the Global Robotics Institute at Florida Hospital, Celebration Health - Sponsored by the Orlando Chapter of the Joint Society on CS, RA, SMC
- Nov. 30 - “Biomimetic Electrically Small Antennas and Antenna Arrays” - MTT/AP Orlando Chapter Meeting
- Call for Nominations for 2013 Section Officers - Deadline: November 12, 2012
- IEEE Orlando Section Congratulates Our New Senior Member!
- Recognition of our Full Set of 55 Orlando Section IEEE "Member 1st 50 Years."
- Call for Volunteers for Chapter Officers and Committee Officers
- Orlando Section Membership Development Report for November 2012
- IEEE Orlando Section Monthly - November 2012 - HTML
- IEEE Orlando Section Monthly - November 2012 - PDF
- Spring 2012 AICN Newsletter
Local IEEE Conferences/Events
Other IEEE News/Events
Date: Tuesday, November 13, 2012
Time: 6:30 - 7:00 pm - Social and Refreshments; 7:00 - 8:30 pm Executive Committee Meeting
Place: Orlando Business Development Center, District 2 (affiliated with the UCF and the S.B.A.) at 3218 East Colonial Drive, Suite #G, Orlando, FL 32802
Directions: In Herndon Plaza just east of Maguire Blvd. This is the shopping center across Colonial Drive from Fashion Square. It is on the west end of the building, around the building at the Southwest corner from the HH Gregg entrance.
Cost: Free to all IEEE members and Non-IEEE members
Contact: Mike Orlovsky, email@example.com, tel. 410.979.0476 (Cell)
Guided Tour of the Global Robotics Institute at Florida Hospital, Celebration Health - Sponsored by the Orlando Chapter of the Joint Society on Control Systems, Robotics & Automation, and Systems, Man & Cybernetics
Date: Thursday, November 29, 2012
Time: 9:00 - 10:30 a.m., Observation of Dr. Vipul Patel performing robotic surgery, Florida Hospital, Celebration Health (Tentative)
11:00 – 2:00 p.m., Robotics surgery discussion, Nicholson Training Center, Global Robotics Institute, Florida Hospital, Celebration Health (Tentative)
Topics: (1) An observation of the doctor-robotic interaction with the Da Vinci system during an actual robotic surgery. (Observers will not see the patient!) (2) This will be followed by a technical discussion of the practical aspects of interactive robotic surgical systems at the Nicholson Training Center.
Place: Global Robotics Institute at Florida Hospital, Celebration Health: 410 Celebration Place, Celebration, FL 34747. Go to www.globalroboticsinstitute.com and examine the topics on robotic surgery.
Directions: From Interstate 4, Westbound,
Take Exit 64 to merge onto FL-530 E/US-192 E/W Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy right toward Kissimmee (2.1 mi);
Turn right onto Celebration Place (0.2 mi);
Turn right to stay on Celebration Place;
Make a U-turn as destination will be on the right (0.9 mi);
Arrive at 410 Celebration Place, Celebration, FL 34747 (0.5 mi)
Cost: Free to all IEEE members and Non-IEEE members.
IMPORTANT RSVP: The guided tour group is strictly limited to 20 visitors. You must indicate your interest in participating in the tour by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 6 p.m., Tuesday, November 20, 2012.
Contact: William Hortos, email@example.com, 407-876-1026..
Date: Friday, November 30, 2012
Time: 4:30-5:30 PM
Place: University of Central Florida - HCEC 101
Speaker: Dr. Nader Behdad, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Abstract and Biography: Click here for abstract and biography.
Cost: Free to all IEEE members and Non-IEEE members
Contact: Xun Gong, (407)823-5762, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Orlando Section elects officers for a term of one year beginning January 1st.
This year's Nomination Committee formed by Dr. Kalpathy Sundaram (email@example.com),
Dr. William (Bill) Hortos (firstname.lastname@example.org), Dr. Xun Gong (email@example.com)
and Dr. Deb Hall (firstname.lastname@example.org)
will be accepting nominations for Section Officers (Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary and Treasurer).
Nominations must be submitted in writing to the Nominations Committee on or before November 12th, 2012.
The Section membership may make a nomination for new Section Officers by submitting qualify petitions. A qualify petition shall meet the following criteria:
- Specify the office.
- Bear the signature of at least 2% of the voting Section members (In accordance with IEEE Bylaw I-307.17 and MGA Operations Manual 9.4.H.6)
- Contain statement of the nominee's consent to serve.
- State nominee's qualification and biography.
- Be delivered to the Section Nominations Committee on or before November 12th, 2012 by 5:00 PM
- The IEEE Orlando Section congratulates our new Senior Member!: Gary Archibald, member of the Components, Packaging, and Manufacturing Technology Society.
The last A&A Review Panel meeting was held on 1 September 2012 in Madrid, Spain. The next IEEE Senior Member Review Panel Meeting will be held on 6 October 2012, in Ottawa, Canada.
For details on how to apply for IEEE Senior Member grade and view the 2012 review panel meeting dates, visit the IEEE Senior Member homepage. For Senior Member inquiries, contact: email@example.com
- Helpful Senior Member web links:
- Senior Member Update
- Senior Member Application
- Senior Member Reference Form
- Senior Member Nomination Event Guide
We are honored to have an esteemed group of 55 Orlando Section members who have been identified as being members who have been with IEEE continuously since the beginning. As mentioned by Gordon Day, 2012 IEEE President and CEO, “IEEE was founded on January 1, 1963, through the merger of the AIEE (founded 1884) and IRE (founded 1912). So 2012 is IEEE's 50th year and we're celebrating it modestly, focusing primarily on honoring those members who have been with us continuously since the beginning. There are about 9400 of them. They have all now received a pin identifying them as a "Member 1st 50 Years". Please offer a note of congratulations when you see them in your travel. An extra special thank you to Dr. Dave Flinchbaugh, Lynn Guthrie and Stan Buchanan who also are active members of our 2012 IEEE Orlando EXCOM.
Thank you and congratulations!
Mike Orlovsky, IEEE Orlando Section Chair