IEEE Orlando Section Monthly - Vol. 47, No. 10 - November 2014
Section/Society Chapter/Affinity Group Events
- Call for Nominations for 2015 Section Officers - Deadline: Nov. 10
- IEEE Full-day Consulting Workshop - November 15th: Flyer - Agenda
- IEEE Orlando Section Honors Eight Section Members at 2014 Awards Banquet
- Section Congress 2014 Region photos taken in Amsterdam
- WMFE Public Relations sound - Join/Renew IEEE or an IEEE Society
- Refer a Member - Get IEEE-USA Merchandise
- Call for Volunteers for Chapter Officers and Committee Officers
- IEEE Orlando Section Monthly - November 2014: HTML - PDF
- 3rd Quarter AICN Newsletter
- IEEE Membership Development Report - August 2014
- R3 Membership Development Report - August 2014
- R3 Membership Development Manual
- Memorandum to Consultants Networks
- IEEE Region 3 newsletter
- IEEE Orlando Section Congratulates Dr. David Flinchbaugh for 60 years of membership
- IEEE Orlando Section Congratulates Our New Senior Member!
IEEE Conferences/Annual Meetings/Events
- Dec. 9, 2014 IEEE Symposium Series on Computational Intelligence(IEEE SSCI 2014), Orlando, FL
- April 9 - 12, 2015 IEEE SoutheastCon 2015, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Other IEEE News/Events
- IEEE Member Discounts
- IEEE Member Benefits Bulletin: October 2014
- SOCIETY SENTINEL
- IEEE USA Today's Engineer
- IEEE TA Spotlight
- Latest IEEE-USA E-Books’ Free Offerings to Members
- IEEE MGA SCOOP NEWSLETTER
- IEEE HISTORY CENTER NEWSLETTER
Date: Tuesday, November 11, 2014
Time: 6:30 - 7:00 pm - Social and Dinner; 7:00 - 8:00 pm Executive Committee Meeting
Place: Orlando Business Development Center, District 2 (affiliated with the UCF and the S.B.A.) at 3218 East Colonial Drive, Suite #G, Orlando, FL 32802
Directions: In Herndon Plaza just east of Maguire Blvd. This is the shopping center across Colonial Drive from Fashion Square. It is on the west end of the building, around the building at the Southwest corner from the HH Gregg entrance.
Cost: Meeting attendance is free to all IEEE members and Non-IEEE members.
RSVP: Stanley Buchanan, stanbuchanan@IEEE.org, tel. 407-256-3329 - Cell
The Orlando Section elects officers for a term of one year beginning January 1st. This year's Nomination Committee formed by Jorge Medina (firstname.lastname@example.org), Dr. Donghui Wu (email@example.com), and Dr. Scott A. Clary (firstname.lastname@example.org) will be accepting nominations for Section Officers (Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary and Treasurer). Nominations must be submitted in writing to the Nominations Committee on or before November 10th, 2014.
The Section membership may make a nomination for new Section Officers by submitting qualify petitions.
A qualify petition shall meet the following criteria:
- Specify the office.
- Bear the signature of at least 1% of the voting Section members.
- Contain statement of the nominee's consent to serve.
- State nominee's qualification and biography.
- Be delivered to the Section Nominations Committee on or before November 10th, 2014 by 5:00 PM
The IEEE President's Office in Piscataway, NJ sent out a pin, which was received on October 24, 2014 by Dr. David E. Flinchbaugh, P.E. acknowledging his 60 years of continuous active membership, starting with his joining as a college student member at the April 1954 Conference and Exposition of the "Institute of Radio Engineers" at the New York City Coliseum.
On October 1, 2014, Dr. Flinchbaugh also received a letter granting him an Honorable Mention for his work toward inventing a solution in the "Creating the Future" design competition conducted by the new Medical Design Briefs publisher in NYC, which also has published NASA Tech Briefs for several decades. A description of his work and its importance to society will be included in next month's November issue of their publication.
He has entered the "Patents for Humanity" competition sponsored by the United States Patent & Trademark Office, with his seven issued patents and 25 additional patent applications for medical devices, systems, and procedures.
He has also become involved with one of the newest IEEE organizations, the "IEEE Engineering in Medicine & Biology Society", where their newly elected leader is located in Gainesville, FL.
With his new 501(c)(3) (pending) charitable organization, the "Foundation Fighting Fatal Infection and Disease" he has also applied for a grant with the IEEE Life Member Foundation which he and his wife of 57 years, Heide, hope will speed their ability to provide the Wounded Warriors, the Disable American Veterans, the Wounded Airmen, and other similar groups of disabled personnel with their unique, FDA-certified, clinically-proven life-saving medical products.
The IEEE Orlando Section congratulates our new Senior Members!:
- Gary Haynes
The last A&A Review Panel meeting was held on 13 September in Toronto, Canada The next Senior Member Review Panel Meeting will be held on 18 October in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
For details on how to apply for IEEE Senior Member grade and view the 2014 review panel meeting dates, visit the IEEE Senior Member homepage. For Senior Member inquiries, contact: email@example.com
- Helpful Senior Member web links:
- Senior Member Update
- Senior Member Application
- Senior Member Reference Form
- Senior Member Nomination Event Guide
- Identify members you wish to recruit for senior membership elevation:
- Click on Access SAMIEEE (systems asks twice)
- Log in with IEEE username/password
- Click on catalog
- Double click on Shared Folder
- Click on SAMIEEE
- Click on Geographic Predefined Queries
- Click on (GEO) SM Upgrade - 1st Level Requirements
Volunteers with access to SAMIEEE can run a predefined query - Senior Member Upgrade - 1st Level Requirements.
The Valencia College Division of Engineering, Computer Programming, and Technology was recently informed that one of the teachers in the Laser/Photonics Academy at Wekiva High School, which is a partnership with Valencia College, is not returning this fall. These leaves the academy students at Wekiva without a teacher for two classes. I am committed to helping Wekiva to replace the teacher before the 2014-2015 school year begins for Orange County Public Schools. Here is some information about the Academy: https://www.ocps.net/lc/north/hwe/Documents/Laser%20Photonics%20Brochure.pdf
The teacher for these two classes must have a masters degree in electrical engineering, electronics, or photonics. If a candidate is a certified teacher, they will be eligible for the full-time position at Wekiva HS and will teach two additional classes in electronics. If not, they can still teach there as a Valencia Dual Enrollment instructor, at a pay scale that is higher than the Valencia adjunct rate, for the two needed photonics courses – see here: https://valenciacollege.edu/HR/documents/ValenciaCollegeSalarySchedule14-15.pdf (Page 5 shows dual enrollment salary in parentheses)
If you or someone that you know is interested in applying for this opportunity, the turn-around time will be fairly quick. Please let me know and I will facilitate the appropriate connections and process.
Please share this message with anyone you think might be qualified/interested.
Lisa Macon, Ph.D.
Division of Engineering, Computer Programming, & Technology
AAWCC Marketing Coordinator
Do you know what the IEEE Member Discounts program does for IEEE members? Here are some important facts about this program:
- More than 70,000 IEEE members use at least one of the benefits in the Member Discounts program.
- Member Discounts products and services are supported by contracts between IEEE and providers, vetted by the professional staff and volunteers.**
- Member Discounts help to support the personal and professional needs of IEEE members throughout their careers, and are portable when they change employers.
- Not all Member Discounts insurance plans and product discounts are available in every country; however, members can find many benefits available in a number of countries, with more being added each year. In fact, the insurance program now spans 84 countries!
- Member Discounts are promoted at no cost to any member and more than $5.3 million in annual non-dues revenue from these programs benefit members worldwide.
Discover what IEEE Member Discounts can offer you. The Member Discounts portfolio consists of insurance products and programs for the home, office and travel, all at excellent group rates and reduced pricing. Visit IEEE Member Discounts to see what’s available in your location and enjoy the savings.
** We can assist with developing local benefits, too. Contact L.Koblin@ieee.org for more information.
IEEE Orlando Section.