IEEE Orlando Section Monthly - Vol. 51, No. 8 - September 2018
Section/Society Chapter/Affinity Group Events
- Sep. 18th: IEEE Orlando Section Joint General Meeting/ Computer Society Technical Meeting at the Dr. Phillips House downtown
- Oct. 20th: IEEE Orlando Section Joint Annual Awards Banquet/ AES Technical Meeting at the Citrus Club downtown (AES Related Technical Speaker: James Beane from KSC) [6 PM to 9 PM]
- Nov. 20th: IEEE Orlando Section Joint Executive Board/ EP Technical Meeting at the Dr. Phillips House downtown [6:30 PM to 8:30 PM]
- December 18th: IEEE Orlando Excom, PACE, and TEM Meeting at the Citrus Club downtown [6:30 PM to 8:30 PM]
- IEEE Orlando Section 2018 Star Search and Scholarship Awards - Deadline: Sep. 20th
- IEEE Orlando Section Call for Nominations 2019
- Call for Orlando Section Volunteers for SoutheastCon 2022
- Call for Volunteers for Section Treasurer, Chapter Officers and Committee Officers
- STEM Related Community Volunteer Opportunities Portal
- 2018 Annual Picnic Pictures from Wekiva Island
- IEEE Orlando Section Monthly - September 2018: HTML - PDF
- Region 3 August SSC Forum Recap - Senior Membership
- Professional Activities (PACE) Report: August 2018
- IEEE Region 3 Newsletter
- 2018 IEEE-USA 1st Quarter Consultants Newsletter
Local Job Openings
- Security Design Leader - Justice Facilities
- Robotics Part Time Faculty Member Position Available at Valencia College
Other IEEE News/Events
- IEEE Collabratec
- IEEE Member Discounts
- SOCIETY SENTINEL
- The Institute Online
- IEEE USA Today's Engineer
- IEEE TA Spotlight
- Latest IEEE-USA E-Books' Free Offerings to Members
IEEE Orlando Section Joint General Meeting/ Computer Society Technical Meeting at the Dr. Phillips House downtown
Topic: "The Challenges and Opportunities of Online Education"
Guest Speaker: Darren McDaniel, Course Director at Full Sail University
Date: Tuesday, September 18th, 2018
Time: 6:30 pm - 7:00 pm: Social and Refreshments; 7:00 - 8:30 pm: General Meeting
Place: The historic Dr. Phillips House at 135 N. Lucerne Circle in Downtown Orlando
1) From I-4 Eastbound, take exit 82A to merge onto FL-408 Eastbound
2) From FL-408 Eastbound, take exit 10C toward FL-527/Orange Ave/Downtown
3) Keep left at the fork to continue toward Delaney Ave
4) Turn left onto Delaney Ave
5) Then immediately turn left onto N Lucerne Cir E
6) Look for the Dr. Phillips House on the right side of the road at 135 N Lucerne Cir E, Orlando, FL 32801
Parking: The MAP is marked to show the locations for complimentary parking. We may park in front of the Dr. Phillips House and along one side of the street in front of the home. We may also park in the Parking Garage, 500 Delaney Avenue (the lower level or upper level). And we may also park behind the Dr. Phillips House in a lot under the overpass which is not shown on the map
Cost: Meeting attendance is free to all IEEE members and Non-IEEE members.
RSVP: Deb Hall, firstname.lastname@example.org
WebEx Meeting Info: 6:30 pm | Eastern Daylight Time (New York, GMT-04:00) | 2 hrs
Join WebEx meeting
Meeting number: 593 291 087
Meeting password: V6DBJrSq
Join from a video conferencing system or application
You can also dial 188.8.131.52 and enter your meeting number.
To dial from an IEEE Video Conference System: *1 593 291 087
Join by phone
+1 210 606 9466 US Toll
+1 866 282 7366 US Toll Free
Access code: 593 291 087
Global call-in numbers | Toll-free calling restrictions
Add this meeting to your calendar. (Cannot add from mobile devices.)
Can't join the meeting? Contact support.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that this Webex service allows audio and other information sent during the session to be recorded, which may be discoverable in a legal matter. By joining this session, you automatically consent to such recordings. If you do not consent to being recorded, discuss your concerns with the host or do not join the session.
A non-profit organization, IEEE is the world's largest professional association for the advancement of technology.
The IEEE Orlando Section Nominations Committee is currently seeking qualified candidates to be considered for positions on the 2019 Section Executive Committee during the annual election. Nominations are now being accepted for the positions of Section Chair, Section Vice Chair, Section Secretary, and Section Treasurer. The term of service is one year beginning on January 01, 2019 and ending on December 31, 2019. See the IEEE Bylaws and IEEE Orlando Section Operating Procedures for more information regarding candidate requirements and position descriptions. Interested individuals should e-mail the Nominations Committee to schedule an information session and interview. For additional information please e-mail Scott Clary at email@example.com.
The IEEE Orlando Section congratulates our new Senior Members:
- Reza Abdolvand
- George Atia
For details on how to apply for IEEE Senior Member grade and view the review panel meeting dates, visit the IEEE Senior Member homepage.For Senior Member inquiries, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Helpful Senior Member web links:
- Senior Member Update
- Senior Member Application
- Senior Member Reference Form
- Senior Member Nomination Event Guide
- Identify members you wish to recruit for senior membership elevation:
- Click on Access SAMIEEE (systems asks twice)
- Log in with IEEE username/password
- Click on catalog
- Double click on Shared Folder
- Click on SAMIEEE
- Click on Geographic Predefined Queries
- Click on (GEO) SM Upgrade - 1st Level Requirements
Volunteers with access to SAMIEEE can run a predefined query - Senior Member Upgrade - 1st Level Requirements.
The Orlando Section is looking to host the SoutheastCon 2022 in Orlando, FL in early 2022. Four years away but the planning needs to start now. Up first is the application to Region 3 where we need to identify Orlando section members to fulfill key roles in the event. Roles include Conference Treasurer and Publication Chair along with vice chairs for Conference Treasurer, Conference Information, Conference Publications, and Conference Technical Program. The planning committee is also being established. Please contact Varadraj Prabhu by May 10th if you are interested in supporting the SoutheastCon 2022 in Orlando, FL.
The Orlando Section is currently seeking volunteers for Section Treasurer, Chapter Officers and Committee Officers. Interested individuals should e-mail the Section Chair Deb Hall at, email@example.com to schedule an information session and interview.
Do you know what the IEEE Member Discounts program does for IEEE members? Here are some important facts about this program:
- More than 70,000 IEEE members use at least one of the benefits in the Member Discounts program.
- Member Discounts products and services are supported by contracts between IEEE and providers, vetted by the professional staff and volunteers.**
- Member Discounts help to support the personal and professional needs of IEEE members throughout their careers, and are portable when they change employers.
- Not all Member Discounts insurance plans and product discounts are available in every country; however, members can find many benefits available in a number of countries, with more being added each year. In fact, the insurance program now spans 84 countries!
- Member Discounts are promoted at no cost to any member and more than $5.3 million in annual non-dues revenue from these programs benefit members worldwide.
Discover what IEEE Member Discounts can offer you. The Member Discounts portfolio consists of insurance products and programs for the home, office and travel, all at excellent group rates and reduced pricing. Visit IEEE Member Discounts to see what's available in your location and enjoy the savings.
** We can assist with developing local benefits, too. Contact L.Koblin@ieee.org for more information.
IEEE Orlando Section.